I recently came across a wonderful article listing the questions one should ask one’s midwife. I personally did ask many of these, as I was a very nervous first time mama who didn’t want to end up at a hospital under any circumstances. My experience with The Birth Place under Jennie Joseph was wonderful and most of these were answered without my even needing to ask. The answers to these questions are going to depend on different factors which we can go over in future. However, these will give you things to think about and help you with the interview process.
Original blog here: http://www.growingslower.com/2012/09/47-questions-i-should-have-asked-my.html
2. How many births have you attended?
3. What percentage of women successfully have a natural birth under your care?
4. What percentage of women need to transfer to the hospital (if planning a home birth or birth center birth)? What is the typical reason?
5. What percentage of moms end up with a C-section?
6. What percentage of moms end up with an epidural?
7. What percentage of babies are transferred to NICU?
8. What is the mortality rate for moms? For babies?
9. Do you have hospital privileges? At what hospitals?
10. If you have children, what were your birth experiences like?
11. How many midwives or obstetricians are on the team? Who are your assistants? Will I get to meet all of them? What is their experience? Can I be sure that you will attend my birth?
12. Do you deliver breech babies naturally? VBACs? Twins?
13. How many births do you attend per month?
Pregnancy & Prenatal Care
20. What type of gestational diabetes testing do you typically use?
21. Do you recommend ultrasounds? When? How many?
23. What happens if I go past my due date? How late can I be and still birth under your care (if a midwife)?
28. Do you routinely use an IV or hep-lock?
29. Are there birth tubs in each room in the birth center? What if one is not available when I’m in labor?
30. Is a water birth available? If not, am I able to push in the tub at all?
31. How long do you recommend I stay in the water at one time? Do I need to get out for monitoring?
34. How long can I labor without induction?
41. What positions are available during labor? While pushing?
Postpartum & Newborn Care
What was your experience interviewing midwives and obstetricians? What was the most important question you asked?
- Building Your Birth Team (choicesinchildbirth.wordpress.com)
- Provider Questions To Ask (stlbirthnetwork.com)
- Myth or Fact: What Do You Know About Midwives? (giveacareindy.org)